Profile of the Light Millennium - 2011
***Celebrating the 11th
Anniversary with multi-participations
from all walks of life globally...
This is a global multi-media alternative
platform for ALL for Greatness in Humanity...***
11th Anniversary with the first multi-participatory publication, and the 12th Year since
its Introductory Issue in August 1999...
Light Millennium is built on the first article of the United States Bill of Rights: Freedom of Speech, in conjunction with the Universal Human Rights Article #19, on Freedom of Expression. It invites citizens of the world to submit, in an appropriate artistic medium, ideas and experiences that will help foster better understanding and connections between people of different cultures and beliefs. Since January 2000, LM has been publishing and presenting a diversity of ideas without censorship through writings, images and music that promote the well-being of the world and its inhabitants.
Light Millennium was introduced on the web in August 1999 by Bircan Ünver as a global multi-media platform inviting individuals to represent themselves and their communities. In January 2000, LM brought in multi-volunteer participation, and was formally incorporated as a "not-for-profit" organization on July 17, 2001. Individuals or organizations that share the same objectives as LM are encouraged to participate in our platform as writers, researchers, editors, speakers, activity or event organizers, and fundraisers. Contributors range from 7 to 90 years old, come from all over the world, and have backgrounds in various disciplines. LM celebrates its 11th Anniversary with the 25th issue of the Light Millennium. However, LM is in its 12th year since its Introductory issue (1999), and has upheld the philosophy that all ideas can stand side by side as long as we respect and have tolerance for each other, and for other ideas, cultures, and religions.
LM is a Charitable & Public Benefit organization and has relied on 100% volunteer work and in-kind sponsorships gathered for public events. To this date, LM has been formed and developed with the voluntary efforts of its founder, board members and supporters, supplemented by four fundraising efforts.
The organization has e-published 25 issues (with the current one) of Light Millennium in English, 21 issues of ISIK BINYILI (www.isikbinyili.org) in Turkish, which is also officially formed as an independent association, and a sister organization with the Light Millennium based in Istanbul, Turkey on January 2010. Including 2 issues of Turkish-Greek Synergy in English and Turkish (a total of 48 original e-publications as of January 2011) e-published, and since 2000, has organized 57 events including panels, conferences, lectures, special screenings, literary readings, poetry events, story nights, and in relation to the vision of the United Nations, Millennium Development Goals, Climate Change, World March, Millennium Development Goals, and also campaigns (for Fugen Gulertekin & Tsunami Aid/Sri Lanka).
The Light Millennium TV ("LMTV") Programs:
series was launched at Queens Public Television by Bircan Ünver under the umbrella of the Light Millennium in January 2000 as a monthly series; since then 68 original programs were produced and aired (the last three programs will be shown in Jan, Feb, and March 2011) under the LMTV at Queens Public Television. Bircan won several awards for her TV programs. LMTV broadcasts independent programs on arts, literature, cultural diversity, freedom of expression, peace, climage change, MGDs, global issues, and UNNGO Profiles. Further, LMTV sponsored 11 other television programs/documentaries in order to be shown at Queens Public TV. For Videography, please visit> http://lightmillennium.org/bu_videography.html.
The Light Millennium has become associated with the Department of Public Information of the United Nations effective as of December 12, 2005, and member of the Non Profit Coordination Committee of New York (Feb.2008). The LM has participated in the 58th, 59th, and 60th United Nations Annual DPI/NGO (Department of Public Information of the United Nations) Conferences. On behalf of the organization, Bircan has been a member of the 59th, 60th, and the 61st of the Planning Committees of the UN/DPI-NGO Conferences, and related subcommittees. LM sponsored "UN Vision & Millennium Developments Goals Through Speaks the Arts" program in 2006, and also during the 2007 Conference, titled "Climate Change: How It Impacts Us All" at the UN-HQ within the context of the Conference, titled "The Wild Cards in Climate Change: Weather Warfare, Geo-engineering and ENMOD." http://www.un.org/dpi/ngosection/conference/4_Wild_Cards.htm.
The Light Millennium website has been visited in over 155 countries since April 14, 2005. As an open global alternative platform, over 1000 volunteer content contributors have formed the Light Millennium since January 2000. Bircan was awarded as a "Global Peace Volunteer" for her efforts on behalf of the Light Millennium by the Turkish-American local newspaper FORUM during the celebration of its 100th issue in NYC on October 25, 2008.
Bircan was one of the speakers at the Inaugural Meeting of the "7th International Conference on Peace Non-violence Action" which is organized by the Anuvrat Global Organization (ANUVIBHA) in Jaipur, India from Nov.10 to 14, 2008. At the 7th ICPNA, Bircan was also the keynote speaker at the 3rd Plenary Session of the conference, titled "Culture of Nonviolence, Shared Cultures and Universal Culture." Further, she received the "Peace Worker Award" from Anuvrat Global Organization, and also received "Honorary Guest" award from Dr. A.P.J. Abdul Kalam, former president of India, and prominent scientist. During her very brief trip to India, she also gave a talk to the students of the Mass Communications at the Mangalayatan University in Aligar. In her speech, Bircan focused on "Alternative Media and its Potentials." In addition, Bircan was one of the speakers of the World March Launching program at NYC City Hall on December 7, 2008.
"What is especially interesting is that [the Light Millennium] publishes articles by people with great experience and provocative points of view," Professor and Former New York Times Foreign Correspondent Stephen Kinzer said to Queens Chronicle newspaper (March 25, 2004). "Many private web sites and blogs are filled with one person's ramblings. Light Millennium is the opposite of that. It's an increasingly sophisticated online magazine that provides insights that people won't find in many other places." Dr. S.L. Gandhi, President of the Anuvrat Global Organization, in his e-mail, stated: "We have invited you as a speaker, and also as a friend who has contributed a lot to social excellence and universal peace."
The Internet is one of the main platforms for creating global connections. LM started with a core audience of Turks and Turkish-Americans and provided a link to a global community of thinkers interested in peace, humanitarian issues, dialogue and international cooperation. In recent editions, the audience has broadened and contributions are now received from all over the world. Historically, Turkey has been a bridge between Europe and Asia; between Islam and Christianity; between Democracy and Religion. Bringing those old Turkish traditions to the Internet, LM has the potential to be a bridge for humanity, spreading the message of peace and tolerance to all cultures and all countries.
Open Call for Involvement:
Light Millennium aims to expand and diversify its Board of Directors and Advisory Board. If you are interested in being a part of the LM through your ideas, professional, and cultural background, or willing to contribute to the 10th Anniversary issue, please contact with:
Bircan Ünver, Executive Producer & Director, E-mail to: email@example.com
Azime Aydogmus, General Secretary, E-Mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Accomplishments in 2010:
* Book Launching program for the book "RESET: Iran, Turkey, and America's Future" with Stephen Kinzer for the 10th Anniversary of The Light Millennium, Baruch College, June 10, 2010. Produced by: The Light Millennium, Hosted by: Baruch College and in collabrated with The American Turkish Society.
* Collaborated with SETA-DC Foundation for second program with Stephen Kinzer on his book, "RESET: Iran, Turkey, and America's Future."
* The 10th Anniversary issue of the Light Millennium e-published - May 2010.
* "2015 & Beyond in Science & Arts" II, Baruch College, NYC, on May 7, 2010.
* Formed ISIKBINYILI.ORG as an independent association (Dernek) based in Istanbul, Turkey in January 2010.
* "On Alternative Media with an NGO Status", Lecture, Marmara University, Communication Department, Istanbul, Turkey, December 24, 2009.
* On Public Access TV: Lecture, Eastern Mediterranean University, Faculty of Communication, Cyprus, December 17, 2009.
* 4 Lectures in Yerevan, Armenia, and 2 open to public information for launching the Turkish-Armenian Synergy Initiative in Armenia with the Civil Society Institute/Yerevan January 25-29, 2010 (TASI September 30, 2009 - February 6, 2010).
* Francis Bacon - A Centenary Retrospective: "Humans Are Violent" (Produced May 2009; Received "Merit of Award" by Accodale in October 2010.)
* Mustafa Kemal Ataturk through the lenses of the Millennium Development Goals: On His 130th Birth Anniversary (Proposed to the Permanent Mission of Turkey to the United Nations on January 11, 2011.)
* A Visionary and Groundbreaking Leader for Universal Education, Girls & Women’s Rights, Development and Pioneer for Global Peace: Mustafa Kemal Ataturk on His 130th Birthday (Proposed to the Consulate General of Turkey in New York among various Turkish-American organizations and institutions in the U.S. and Canada on January 11 and 12, 2011).
* Turkey-2010: Girls and Women Rights Revisited
* A oetry Project within the concept of “Mystic Poets from 12th to 20th centuries within “Cultural Diversity & Reconciliation” concept.
* Parade of Faces: Who Speaks for Turkey? With Stephen Kinzer – A 6 parts of documentary in development process.
* Department of Public Information of the United Nations effective on December 12, 2005.
* Non-Profit Coordination Committee of New York, February 2008.
LM's Representatives to the Department of Public Information of the United Nations-UN/DPI-NGO for 2011:
* Bircan ÜNVER, Head of the Organization
* Haldun ARMAGAN, Main Representative
* Cevat CIVAN, 1st Alternate Representative
* Kaushalliya SIRIWARDANE, 2nd Alternate Representative, (Helping Hands Inc. TX).
* Sirin CENGIZALP, Youth Representative
For more information, please e-mail to:
- Bircan Ünver E-mail: President, Executive Producer & Director: email@example.com
- Azime Aydogmus, General Secretary of the Light Millennium: firstname.lastname@example.org
*Publishing Policy of the Light Millennium> http://lightmillennium.org/lm_publishing_policy.html
*Publishing Criteria> http://lightmillennium.org/lm_publishing_criteria.html
Web sites: http://lightmillennium.org - http://isikbinyili.org
For the Light Millennium web site's stats, please visit Webalizer>
- Updated: January 2011
|"The Light Millennium is <http://www.lightmillennium.org> a non-religious, non-politicial, not-for-profit (501-c-3), non-governmental (NGO) public benefit multi-media and culture organization, has become associated with the Department of Public Information of the United Nations effective on December 12, 2005. Formed in 2001, based in Queens, New York. On the Web since August 1999... "YOU ARE THE SOUL OF THIS GL OBAL PLATFORM. & WE ARE FOR THE GREATNESS IN HUMANITY."