FINAL REPORT, STATEMENTS, PAPER PRESENTATIONS,
POWER POINT AND VIDEOS
Day-One: High Level Inaugural Session - April 19, 2013
Dedicated to: MDG#8 Global Partnerships and International Peace
Dr. Nariman FARVARDIN, President of Stevens Institute of Technology
Dr. Lisa A. DOLLING, Dean of the College of Arts and Letters and Associate Professor of Philosophy
Ms. Bircan ÜNVER, Co-Chair, Founding President and Permanent Representative to the UN DPI/NGO of The Light Millennium
Dr. Edward FOSTER, Co-Chair and Professor of American Studies, College of Arts and Letters, Stevens Institute of Technology
H.E. Mr. Halit ÇEVIK, Ambassador, Permanent Representative of Turkey to the United Nations
VIDEO - PART 1/6 - Welcoming Remarks, Introduction, Concept, and Opening Remarks
H.E. Ms. Byrganym AITIMOVA, Ambassador Extraordinary and Plenipotentiary Permanent Representative of Kazakhstan to the United Nations – Represented by Mr. AKAN RAKHMETULLIN, Deputy Permanent Representative of Kazakhstan to the United Nations.
H.E. Mr. Pajo AVIROVIKJ, Ambassador, Permanent Representative of the Republic of Macedonia to the United Nations
VIDEO - PART 2/6
“Changing the World: From Ataturk's 'Six Arrows' to the Eight“Millennium Development Goals” (Authorized transcription)
Mr. Stephen KINZER, author of Crescent & Star: Turkey Between in Two Worlds and Professor of International Relations,
VIDEO - PART 3/6
H.E. Mr. Carlos E. GARCIA GONZALES, Ambassador, Permanent Representative of El Salvador to the United Nations
VIDEO - PART 4/6 & Power Point
Ms. Suzanne BILELLO, Senior Communications and Liaison Officer for UNESCO at the United Nations
VIDEO PART 5/6 UNESCO & Interaction Session
VIDEO PART 6/6 Interaction Session Continues & Closing Remarks
For more information, please visit.
APRIL 20, 2013 - Day-Two: Saturday, April 20, 2013
Dedicated to: MDG#3: Women Empowerment and Gender Equality and MDG#2 Universal Education
Paper Presentations on MDG#1, 2, 3
MODERATOR: David C. CUTHELL, Adjunct Associate Professor, Columbia University.
- Women, Education and Development in the Middle East (pdf)
Keynote presented by Sally (Salwa) SHATILA KADER, Co-Founder and President of the United States Federation for Middle East Peace (USFMEP, NGO), and Permanent Representative to the United Nations
- AtatÜrk's Reforms Empowered Turkish Women and Set Example for the Developing World - A look at the remarkable transformation of a Nation
Written by: Aynur Uluatam SUMER & Ilknur BORAY - Atatürk Society of America - ASA- Board Members.
Presented by Ceren Olga SAYAN
- “Ataturk, His Incredible Gift to Inspire: a New Nation Built on Equality and Justice—an Enduring Spirit for the Future”,
Written and Presented by: Judy Light AYYILDIZ, Roanoke, Virginia.
- “Turkish Women From Past To Present”,
Written and Presented by: Associate Prof. GÜL ÇELKAN, Middle Georgia State College.
- “A Different Approach to Education: The VillageInstitution Experience of Turkey and the UNMDGS” (Abstract)
Written by: Prof. Dr. E. Nezih ORHON, and Research Asst. GOZDE EFE, Anatolian University, Eskisehir, Turkey. -
Presented by: Gozde EFE
- “The Women’s Movement in Turkey from Tazminat Towards Atatürk’s Reforms”
Written and Presented by: Seden ANLAR, student, Maltepe University, Istanbul, Turkey.
- “The Birth of the Celebration of Youth and Sports and the U.N.’s Agenda for Youth and the Encouragement of Sports” (Paper)
Written and Presented by: Sebahattin DEVECIOGLU, Assistant Professor, Fırat University, Elazig, Turkey.
- Power Point
- “Educational Paradigms in Earth’s Global Village”
Paper and Power Point by: Robert M. WEIR, Writer, Author, Editor, Speaker
On behalf of Mr.Weir, its Power Point version was presented by Bircan Ünver.
- Robert M. Weir's full
Power-Point presentation with audio
- “Against All Odds: Atatürk’s Legacy and Its Impact on Contemporary Turkey”,
Written and Presented by: David C. CUTHELL, Adjunct Associate Professor, Dr. Columbia University.
Paper Presentations on MDG#8: Global Partnerships & International Peace
MODERATOR: Associate Prof. GÜL ÇELKAN, Middle Georgia State College.
- “Peace vs Pact: Mustafa Kemal Atatürk's Concept of Peace”
Written by: Sevinç ÖZER, Professor, Çanakkale University, Çanakkale, Turkey.
Presented by Prof. Edward Foster
- “Eradicating Extreme Poverty and Hunger Through Universal Education”
Written by: Augustine G. JOHNSON, Executive Director; Martin T. TUMOE, Chairman; Pauline TONNELLE, Project Director; LCA-Global Initiative, Liberia.
Presented by Rev. James Bestman, The Liberian Cultural Association
- “Sovereignty and Legitimacy as the Basis for Peace: Atatürk’s Principles and the future of the Arab Spring”
Written and Presented by: Hamid Akin ÜNVER, Professor, Kadir Has University, Istanbul, Turkey.
- “Ataturk: Homeric Hero”
Written and Presented by: Christopher VASSILLOPULOS, Professor of Political Science at Eastern Connecticut State University
- “The UN Millennium Goals in Gandhian and Ataturkist Perspectives”
Written by Özay MEHMET, Distinguished Research Professor, International Affairs, Carleton University, Ottawa, Ont., CANADA.
On behalf of Prof. Mehmet, a summary of this paper presented by Bircan Ünver.
* * * * *
- "Ataturk, Creating a Universal Language in Turkish Musical Culture”
Written and presented by: Aysegül DURAKOĞLU, Professor of Music, College of Arts and Letters,
Stevens Institute of Technology
CONCERT - PROGRAM:
Aysegül DURAKOĞLU, pianist
Yigit KARATAS, violinist
Conference related links:
The Light Millennium TV Updates
- High Level Inaugural Session's cablecasting schedule, please visit
- More on ATATÜRK on the Lightmillennium.Org
Updated on Augus 10, 2015 with the 2015 National Hometown Winning Program